When launching an online store, selecting an ecommerce platform that aligns with your business’ goals is crucial to its success. WooCommerce and Shopify are two of the most popular ecommerce platforms to choose from. While both tools effectively provide you with the ecommerce capabilities you need, they each have a different core approach for managing your online store. Continue reading to understand the key differences between these platforms to help determine which will suit your brand best!
WooCommerce is a customizable ecommerce platform built on WordPress. Since this platform is self-hosted, you are able access your store’s files and data, providing you with the power to select exactly how you want to design your store. WooCommerce is available for WordPress users and can be installed quickly and easily as a plug-in. Once installed, the platform will prompt you to set up your preferences. If you have any trouble, there is a massive community of WordPress users that share advice regularly that can help you navigate through the setup process.
One of the best features about this platform is that it provides you with the ultimate freedom to customize the design and functionality of your site. You can select your online store’s theme and choose exactly how you want to configure the layout. You also have the ability to choose from over 50,000 plugins that WordPress offers to further enhance your store. If you’re looking to have complete control over your online store, WooCommerce is an excellent choice for your brand.
Additionally, the platform allows you to accept a variety of payment gateways, including PayPal, Square, and more! Beyond the popular gateways, WooCommerce also accepts regional payment gateways, which is excellent if you are looking sell internationally. Depending on the features you select for your online store, the cost of WooCommerce may vary. However, the platform does offer a convenient one-time payment option as opposed to monthly payments.
Reasons to Choose WooCommerce
- Flexibility and Control – If you have a vision for your online store, WooCommerce provides you with endless themes and design options to bring your vision to life.
- Helpful for Diverse Product Lines – If you are selling a wide variety of products, such as clothing or jewelry, this platform provides you with the capabilities needed to create variations and options throughout the store.
- Another WordPress Solution – If you are already using WordPress and feel comfortable with the interface, WooCommerce can be found within the plugin library and simply be installed. Keeping your site and ecommerce capabilities within one platform can help you stay organized.
This beginner-friendly ecommerce platform is very helpful for anyone new to launching an online store. Shopify is hosted, which means that the platform completely manages the software for you. The platform allows you to get up and running quickly; simply sign up, purchase a domain name, and select your theme. Once you become a user, you can begin to create product listings and start selling instantly!
Shopify allows you to list up to 100 variants per product, while each product can have up to three options. For example, if you are selling watches with different sizes and colors, the platform will be able to accommodate that need. However, if your product options exceed this limit, you may need to choose a different platform. Shopify has its own payment gateway that requires zero setup, however it does accept other popular payment gateways such as PayPal and Stripe.
Designing an online store can be a bit overwhelming for some. Shopify is extremely helpful for those who want to select a design and start selling quickly. The platform offers a variety of themes for you to select which helps speed the process along. There is no need to stress about maintenance as Shopify handles maintaining and securing your store entirely. This platform’s pricing is transparent and helpful for planning. While premium themes and apps may increase your monthly payments, Shopify ensures you are aware of the cost to integrate the platform to your online store.
Reasons to Choose Shopify
- Easy Setup – With a variety of design options to choose from, Shopify makes designing and launching your store quick and easy. Save time with preconfigured layouts to choose from and more!
- Perfect for Small Product Lines – If your product line is simple with limited variations and options, this platform is an excellent choice. More complex product lines offering many different options may face some difficulties while using the platform.
- Zero Maintenance – Remembering to update your site and ensure it is functioning properly on a regular basis can be a headache. Shopify eliminates all worry surrounding your store’s functionality by managing all updates and keeping the store secure.
Launching an online store can increase sales, allow you to reach thousands of potential customers, and increase your brand awareness worldwide! Whether you choose WooCommerce and Shopify, both platforms can be your ultimate helping hand through the process.
Do you need assistance launching your online store? Get in touch with us today!